Sunday, February 13, 2011

Blog Post 4
dont-teach-your-kids-this-stuff-please

I am not sure if I agree or disagree with Dr. McLeod's post. I believe it is HOW you teach your children technology. My comment on his post was that it was like teaching your children to drive. All the same thoughts and fears go through your head but you are not going to give them a horse and buggy for transportation. You are going to teach them to drive and set all of the appropriate boundaries. Then pray....a lot. So I guess I agree with Dr. McLeod in some ways, I just do not think it is a black and white or yes or no question.

Scott McLeod is an Associate Professor in the Educational Administration program at Iowa State University. He also is the Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE). CASTLE is the nation’s only academic center dedicated to the technology needs of school administrators.

The iSchool initiative

I think iSchool is a tremendous idea. Travis Allen makes some great points. I am sure people who do not agree with the idea will pick it apart. But I think Travis is definitely on the right track.

One of the arguments that I really thought was important was the communication between the parents and the school. This is essential for the success of a student. My children were in school before there was internet as well as after. I can tell you firsthand how much easier it was to know what was going on in their studies after the internet. iSchool will just expand on that and make it even better. Never having to try and track down a book or an assignment after school hours would be great.

Lost Generation

I really liked this video. Earlier videos we have watched spoke about the need for creativity in teaching. This video is definitely creative. I believe that this generation will achieve everything they say they will. Generation after generation just keeps getting smarter and smarter. They take what is left for them and figure out ways to make the world a better place.


Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir

This was a great video. To be able to take all those people from all over the world and create a choir is incredible. The director did a wonderful job making all the voice work together.


Teaching the 21st Century

Change is inevitable and not necessarily a bad thing. But so many people are afraid of change. I do not think it matters if a teacher uses an actual book or an ipad to teach a child to read as long as the child learns to read. It doesn't matter if a student learns to write on paper or something else as long as they learn to write. I think people worry too much about change instead of just going with it.

2 comments:

  1. Molly,

    It is important as teachers to help our students learn, and to do this, we must find creative ways and help them set boundaries for themselves. These different videos definitely exhibit creativity in numerous ways, and I think it is something we should all strive to do. We have to help students find their own interests, and then we should encourage them to pursue those dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly,

    I like the comparison you made with teaching your kids to drive and teaching them technology. I thought it went together well. I agree with Mr. McLeod, the children who are exposed to this technology will have "a leg up" on those who aren't given the opportunity to use it. I also agree that the iSchool would be great for the communication between teachers and parents. Travis Allen has an excellent idea and hopefully it can be put into action very soon. "I do not think it matters if a teacher uses an actual book or an ipad to teach a child to read as long as the child learns to read." I think your quote has some truth to it. Yes, it is important that children learn to read but at the rate technology is being developed and used in schools, you might as well go ahead and teach them with technology. It would help them in the long run.

    ReplyDelete