Sunday, January 23, 2011

Blog Post 1

Hi, my name is Molly Dekin. I am 47 years old and have recently started my college education. I just received my associate degree from Faulkner State Community College. I am very excited about pursuing my bachelor’s degree at South Alabama. I grew up in Atlanta, GA but have lived in Fairhope, AL for about 12 years. I really love Fairhope and the small town feel of it. It definitely has a different pace from Atlanta.

I have two grown children. My daughter is 22 and a senior at the University of Alabama (Roll Tide). She is majoring in secondary and math education. My son is 20 and he is a gun mechanic on a seismograph ship. He travels all over the world looking for oil. I work three days a week as a nanny for 16 month old twins. I absolutely love my job. They are the cutest things you will ever see and I can’t wait to share pictures of them with you. Oh, wow, I am starting to sound like a grandmother and I am not there yet!

I knew from the start of my college career that I wanted to major in education because I truly love children. However, I did struggle with choosing between elementary and secondary education. From my little twins, to my own children and their friends, to the young adults I have taken classes with, they all honestly amaze me. I learn so much from them every day and thoroughly enjoy being with them. I finally decided on elementary education. I am very nurturing and have lots of energy so it seemed like the best fit for me.

While I am very excited about attending USA, I am also a bit nervous. Things have changed a lot since I was in school, so every time I take a new class I am in complete bewilderment. We used blackboards and film projectors when I was in school. When Dr. Strange mentioned “tweeting” I knew he didn’t mean birds but it did make me sweat a little. In spite of my occasional anxiety, I am really looking forward to this class.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Molly!

    Welcome to EDM310!

    Goodness! You and I seem to have a lot in common! Atlanta and Fairhope are my two favorite cities! My boyfriend and I visit Atlanta at least once a month - he is a paraplegic and mentors at the Shepherd Center. Have you heard of it? Also, I've always said I wanted to live in Fairhope one day. I'm jealous!

    You say things have changed a lot since you were in school, but after this class I think you'll be bewildered to see how things are very much so the same! You'll see a snippet of what I'm speaking of this week when you watch "Mr. Winkle Wakes!" :)

    I'm glad to hear you're excited about this class! I'm definitely excited to see what you come up with!

    One last thing! Be sure to add pictures, complete with title and alt modifiers for all of your upcoming posts.

    Allie

    P.S. Congratulations on receiving your Associates!

    ReplyDelete